WHY STARBUCKS?

Exactly a week ago, I was in a bookstore searching for a “book” (of course it’s a bookstore haha!!). But no particular “title” is in my mind while I was hunting. What clouted my bloodshot eyes was “Starbucked” by Taylor Clark. Clark quotes a 1997 Larry King interview with Howard Schultz, the company’s chairman, where Schultz outlines what should have been the plot of Clark’s book: “People weren’t drinking coffee. ... So the question is, How could a company create retail stores where coffee was not previously sold, ... charge three times more for it than the local doughnut shop, put Italian names on it that no one can pronounce, and then have six million customers a week coming through the stores?”
I remember those days that “starbucks” was so alien to me. Seriously, I’m not a fan of complicated stuff as like the names of coffee serve in coffee shops. A cup of coffee I make each morning is the same coffee I want to get when I step in any shop I saw along the way. Not until I was introduced to Starbucks. Hala! I even can’t remember when was the first time I bought coffee and fell in love with the taste ever since. I don’t know what’s gotten into me to transform my acuity about coffee shops. From then on, I decided to get a cup more often than not. It helped me stay awake during classes and somehow became refreshment during humid days. Hey! They got the best frappe as far as my taste buds are the guilty party for coming up with this conclusion; I will not disagree and who would be?

Maybe being a coffee shop philosophizer then is not bad? What are your thoughts?

Hmmm. I guess it served me a lesson by simply sifting the things I learned from the hang out place of the bagets. Walang kokontra, bagets pa rin ako no? Haha!!
Protect your Quality – I remember one time I ordered a venti size white mocha frappuccino but when my name was called, the barista served grande size. I informed him that he might have misheard it or interchange with other customer that I actually ordered a venti size. He politely said “I’m sorry and I’ll make you another one”. I asked “Why didn’t you add it?” The barista replied that it will taste differently if he will do that. Every part of the “coffee” has its measurement (milk, water, ice, etc.) Huwoow! I was soooo amazed how much they protect the quality of each cup they serve.

They Blend with their Clients or Season – one reason I look forward to holiday season is the availability of my favorite “toffee nut latte” as in super gustong gusto ko yung lasa ng kape nila! To top it off, toffee nut latte is available, too. Haha!! They have many choices from signature hot choclate to blended coffees to fruit juices! Different ages will love their variety. Very creative, saludos!

Personal touch – with the industry I work with, personalization is really important. When I say important? Very. They call their customers with their names. It feels different when someone calls you by your first name which is more acceptable most of the time from ma’am, miss, ate, kuya, boss, boy or, neng (I hate it so much when someone calls me ‘nene’ or ‘neng’ which happens very often argh!!).

Couches – were offered and they are comfortable. It has this homey feeling while sipping your coffee and reading a magazine or a book. Relaxing music which are not too loud are being played on the store’s speakers. Haaay, sarap tumambay! Not to mention wifi access and free use of electricity for your laptop. Haha!! It is better to charge your laptop there than to pay the extra 50 pesos (this was the rate 9 years ago) per sem where in fact it is impossible to get a vacant outlet at all because many students has their laptop, too? And the outlets are limited. No wonder students before prefer to be on the other side of the road when their laptop’s battery is almost empty and will not survive the next hours in school.

They don’t waste coffee grounds – it is a good fertilizer and they care about mother earth. They use recycled materials like paper cups, tissue and sleeves. I love the leaflets they have, I’m planning to collect them all haha!! It’s worth reading, try it.

Charity works – who wouldn’t love to help the needy by simply buying your favorite drink? I was really happy that they help not so blessed kids to get a good education, make their classrooms comfortable and most of all books! I believe from the time when I first learn how important education is so I help support their charity by buying haha!! So much for excuse then.

Have you been Starubucked?

No comments:

Post a Comment