WHY US? WHY?

Someone from work earlier asked me “Ms. Sheila, why this happened to us? My family is very much affected and some of my relatives are missing up to now. Why do we suffer pains like this?” I understand where she is coming from; to be honest I was silent for about 30 seconds while staring blankly at her.  I gained my composure and tried to answer her on the best way I can. First, I’m not the best person to comfort her. Second, my knowledge in sharing in a Biblical standpoint is not as good as those preachers or leaders from the community I served yet I feel that I owe her an answer so I did. Here’s my thought on the current situation that Philippines is going through.

There are 3 things I know that will answer her query.

ONE – It is a realization that Earth is not our permanent place. Yes, we are here and living on it for as long as God wants us to live here. But, have we thought that there is a place He prepared for us which is no longer capable of being destroyed by any storm or any calamity? The place He has prepared is a place where no more pain and suffering exists? That is the place that we will go to someday. Earth is our habitat and our way to eternal life.

SECOND – These calamities are happening to remind us one thing “End is near” If we will read Revelation, we will have a better understanding of all the happenings. Climate changes, super typhoons, earthquakes, etc. There is still time and He gives us enough chance to change the way we live.

THIRDIf a Father punishes His children there will be consequences to learn the lessons He wants us to learn. Each and every one of us at one point had a fair share that our Dad punished us for something that we did. God’s strength is perfect for our weakness. If He will give us everything, if we will live in a perfect world now then how we will dream of being with Him in eternity? He allows people to die, and His reasons will always be for everyone’s betterment. We cannot question Him, but we cannot live here permanently.

The follow-up question I got was “Why does God allow people to die?” BOOM!!!!!! This was so, so hard to digest I swear. “I don’t know. But one thing I’m assured of, God loves each and every one of us. Why? Because He gave us pain and let us suffer in order to call for His help. Sometimes, we are happy individuals and yet we forgot to thank Him for the happiness because He blesses us. But if time comes that we are crying, hurt and going through something, we are non-stop calling Him. God is always fair, because if He is not, definitely some people will only experience happiness or sadness. No one will get to experience both if God doesn’t love us” I want to hug her but it may be awkward. By the end of the small talk, she asked me if she can join our group for our weekly sharing.


Just a little background, here at the office I’m so glad to find new friends who happened to be from SFC and VCF. We gather weekly (combination of brothers and sisters). There are Bible sharing each week and we discuss a certain topic that is actually appropriate for young professionals like us. We meet at coffee shops after work. Discussions are very light and it proves that we really need is “Relationship” not Religion. 

Sharing today's mass readings:

First Reading: Wisdom 1:1-7
Psalm: Psalm 139:1-10
Gospel: Luke 17:1-6 




These 2 photos are indeed scary and while I was listening to this song, it made sense that despite the destruction happened in Visayas, there will always be life after the pains. 


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/14/2013

    Thanks for sharing this ma'am. Natutuwa kami dahil kahit busy ka, if we ask you questions like this, parati ka may time. That's the BEST service you give to your brothers and sisters. Salamat ma'am dahil you help us to trust God even the situation we have right now is painful. Salamat din for praying for us, sa mga pamilya namin sa Leyte, Samar at sa lahat ng affected. God bless ma'am.

    ReplyDelete